| Ken Anderson, a retired Buffalo Lake public school teacher, helped create a permanent resource for the students he cares so much about by partnering with community leaders to create the Buffalo Lake-Hector School Foundation through the Southwest Initiative Foundation.
The Southwest Initiative Foundation offers a variety of Designated Funds designed to help donors meet their unique philanthropic goals, and to keep valuable resources in southwest Minnesota. Designated Funds are endowed and created with a specific purpose in mind.
A minimum gift of $10,000 is required to establish a designated endowment fund. Please call our office at 800-594-9480 or 320-587-4848 for details.
In most cases, a Designated Fund is advised by a local committee of volunteer leaders. The committee raises money for the fund, recommends grant distributions, and raises public awareness. As part of the partnership with the Foundation, SWIF provides assistance in the planning and development of Designated Funds. It also administers the funds and provides ongoing technical and professional support as needed, in areas such as fundraising, marketing, public relations, and grantmaking.
Designated Funds can receive many types of gifts, including cash, appreciated stock, real estate, and planned gifts, such as charitable gift annuities and bequests.
Designated Funds administered by SWIF for the benefit of southwest Minnesota include:
A fund established for the benefit of one or more specific charitable organizations, such as a youth center, school district, nature preserve, historical society, etc.
Designated Grant Fund:
A non-endowed fund to support a specific program or activity through the distribution of grants. These are generally established by a consortium of donors with a common interest and used to support specific programs for a defined period of time.
- Minnesota West Community & Technical College Small Business Management Fund
- Willmar Music Matters Fund
A fund established by an individual donor or donors who wish to provide input to SWIF about the distributions from the fund.
- Beatrice F. Ourada Advised Fund
- Carol M. Ulrich Haukos Advised Endowment Fund
- David and Elizabeth Reimer Family Advised Endowment Fund
- Dr. Paul Thompson Legacy Advised Endowment Fund
- Ellen Baker-Merrigan Advised Endowment Fund
- Freese Family Advised Endowment Fund
- Harder Family Advised Foundation Fund
- Heimark Family Advised Fund
- Krueger Family Advised Fund
- Robert & Florence Wolff Memorial Advised Endowment Fund
- Taubert Family Advised Fund
- Walter and Raeanna Gislason Advised Fund
Field of Interest Fund:
A fund created to support a particular priority of the donor, such as aging, inclusiveness, youth, mental health, veterans, etc.
- Appleton VFW Post 4955 Flags of Honor Memorial Endowment Fund
- Bird Island, Olivia, Lake Lillian (BOLD) Early Childhood Fund
- Brad Behrends Memorial Fund
- Dawson-Boyd Alumni Association Endowment Fund
- Galen Hanson Memorial Education Endowment Fund
- Jay Beytien Memorial Endowment Fund
- Jennie-O Turkey Store, Inc. Crisis Assistance Relief Effort (CARE) Fund
- Lac qui Parle Valley Early Childhood Fund
- Lake Benton Lake Association Fund
- Litchfield Early Childhood Fund
- Luverne Child Guide Endowment Fund
- Madison Community Baseball Endowment Fund
- Maureen M. Yagodka, Ph.D. Memorial Fund
- Minnesota Educators of the Gifted and Talented (MEGT) Fund
- Montevideo Area Rehabilitation Endowment Fund
- Mountain Lake Area Foundation for Education Fund
- Mountain Lake Area Healthcare Fund
- Mountain Lake Area Healthcare Endowment Fund
- Mountain Lake Early Childhood Fund
- Murray County Early Childhood Fund
- Ortonville Early Childhood Fund
- Paul & Alma Schwan Aging Trust Endowment Fund
- Russell and Betty Dahl Memorial Endowment Fund for the Benefit of Dawson-Boyd Public School Music Department
- Southwest Minnesota Student Enrichment Endowment Fund
- Southwest Minnesota Student Enrichment Program Fund
- Walter and Arthur Anderson Memorial Endowment Fund
- Willmar Early Childhood Fund
- Worthington Area Early Childhood Development Fund
A fund established to provide scholarship support to students within a particular school district or in a specified area of academic pursuit.